Nov 2017 newsletter: CLA calls for total overhaul in ‘Rebirth of the Nation’
The citizenship-politician crisis is warning and opportunity that it’s time for a complete overhaul of Australia’s Constitution, two centuries after its drafting. We need a new ‘founding deed’.
And the new basic document to facilitate a ‘rebirth of the nation’ should incorporate a Bill of Rights, Civil Liberties Australia says.
Other items in this issue include:
- Medical students back euthanasia
- NZ to get Criminal Cases Review Commission: Australia next?
- New refugee class action may be equally costly
- Nationalism bigger risk than terrorism: Greste
- ASEAN summit won’t discuss civil liberties
- Forensic scientists, prosecutors, lie to court
- Could this happen in Australia under S-S marriage laws?
- Quebec opts for full facial disclosure
DOWNLOAD NEWSLETTER here:
- Oct 2017 CLArion: Govt living in fear is newly afraid of fictitious bodies threat
The government, fresh from ringing itself in a steel-fenced citadel, has announced proposed new legal protection to stop fictitious bodies taking over control of the nation. Meanwhile, the politicians meant to safeguard ...
- Sep 2017 CLArion: Bid for a Bill of Rights to help counter creeping control by ASIS and spooks
Independent MHR Andrew Wilkie launches a new bid for a national Bill of Rights in Parliament, even as ASIS and other spooks demonstrate increasing control over ordinary Australians. 31 ...
- Immigration: policy bias treats arrivals differently depending on transport
There’s one rule for boat arrivals, another for air arrivals: why do we discriminate, and why does Minister Dutton allow freeloaders to overstay in Australia for decades? 31 July 2017
- Miscarriages and genes research likely to spark campaigns for major change CLA initiatives to tabulate wrongful convictions in Australia, and to research genes privacy and ownership protection, are likely to result in major, long-term freedom and rights campaigns. 30 June 2017
- Indigenous leaders show way as calls for change ripple through impatient society
Indigenous leaders are helping to drive a groundswell for fundamental, meaningful change rippling through society, with calls for an Australian republic now added to the request for ‘real’ representation. 31 May 2017
- As tension increases, Parliament must be empowered to decide if we go into wars As US-North Korea brinksmanship escalates, it becomes more obvious than ever that the Australian Parliament should decide on our going into warlike situations, not the Kitchen Cabinet. 30 April 2107
- Mar 2017 CLArion: Ratifying convention would open jails to external inspection
AG Brandis has promised to ratify the torture convention, thus opening up detention centres to inspection, by the end of the year. CLA fervently hopes he keeps his promise. 28 Feb 2017
- Feb 2017 CLArion: Justice-legal ‘industry’ needs national structural reform inquiry CLA has called on PM Turnbull and AG Brandis to launch a robust, thorough national inquiry into all aspects of the justice-legal sector, which urgently needs to modernise. 31 Jan 2017
- Jan 2017 CLArion: Age, genes, drugs and terrorism likely to dominate this year
The above issues, plus the shape of our own democracy, will come to the fore in 2017, as impetus grows for changes under CLA’s 10-year campaign for Better Justice. 31 Jan 2017
The CLArion archive
<ul><li><a href="/clarion/1101CLArionJan.pdf" target="_blank">Jan</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1102CLArionFeb.pdf" target="_blank">Feb</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1103CLArionMar.pdf" target="_self">Mar</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1104CLArionApr.pdf" target="_blank">Apr</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1105CLArionMay.pdf" target="_blank">May</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1106CLArionApr.pdf" target="_blank">Jun</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1107CLArion.pdf" target="_blank">Jul</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1108CLArion.pdf" target="_blank">Aug</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1109CLArion.pdf" target="_blank">Sep</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1110CLArion.pdf" target="_blank">Oct</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1111CLArion.pdf" target="_blank">Nov</a></li>
<li><a href="/clarion/1112CLArionDec.pdf" target="_blank">Dec</a></li></ul>